Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Our Little Reader!

Photobucket

I've been noticing for awhile now that Bennett has been recognizing words.

I didn't really think much of it until I started reading "The Happy Lion" to him the other day...
Photobucket
I am reading along and he starts interjected words....the right words, as I am reading to him.  So, I stop reading and instead point to the words to see how many he can recognize.

He shocked me with how many words he knew.

Here is the paragraph and I will BOLD the words he read:

"His home was not the hot and dangerous plains of Africa,
where hunters lie in wait with their guns.
It was a lovely French town with brown-tile roofs and gray shutters.
The happy lion had a house in the town zoo, all for himself,
with a large rock garden surrounded by a moat,
in the middle of the park with flower beds and a bandstand."
I clapped when he finished!  Then, I just had to kind of blink and take that in for a second because he's my fourth child and, to be honest, we haven't spent much time teaching him to read. 

When Greg came home, I had Bennett read the same paragraph for him and Greg said, "We should totally take credit for this!"  Which, again, references the fact that we have no idea how he learned this skill!   But, we sure love him!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

5 comments:

Dani said...

Go Bennett! How exciting! Learning to read is so cool. Not too long ago Emma starting pointing out letters that she recognized, and that was quite a thrill for me :) Its so fun to watch our kids learn and grow! Hooray for Bennett! And you and Greg! And Sesame Street or whomever is responsible for teaching him to read! Just kidding! I'm sure you have done more than you're giving yourself credit for!

Margaret said...

Dani! You are so sweet! But I absolutely have NO idea where he learned it. LOL.

Marissa said...

That's great! How fun. It's amazing what kids pick up all on their own. Mister has suprised me many times with things he knows that I never taught him.

rachel said...

He learned it all from his brilliant and genius Aunt Rachel, DUH!!

Lakes are Great said...

maybe someday he will make you rich!

Post a Comment

We love comments!!! Thanks for leaving us one.